We all know the old fairy tale of Goldilocks and the three bears. The little blondie goes on to try the three different beds in the bear family’s household and found Papa bear’s bed too firm, Mama bear’s bed too soft, and Baby bear’s bed just right. It actually perfectly depicts mattress shopping if you ask us. Everyone has their own “just right” mattress as comfort depends on personal preference.
For some people, Papa bear’s firm feels “just right”. For others, Mama bear’s soft is their best match. For Goldilocks and Baby bear, it’s the third mattress that feels just great. For you, it can be an entirely different mattress altogether so we always recommend testing out the beds before purchasing one. We say it over and over again, only you can determine what’s comfortable for you, so make sure to test “drive” mattresses before you buy. These products are big ticket purchases, so you have to be absolutely sure that you’re comfortable in them.
The Best vs. The Most Comfortable
The most common question we get is “what is the best mattress in your line?” Our response is to automatically point you to the Legacy mattress. It’s the finest product in our range, so we take great confidence in this product. However, we also know that it might not be everyone’s cup of tea, especially if you prefer a firm sleeping surface.
This brings us back to the Goldilocks conundrum once again, as our best might not be the most comfortable for you. The Legacy, our best mattress, is a perfect combination of soft and firm as it makes use of a pocketed spring coil system topped with latex foam. It will let you sink just enough to feel cozy and embraced.
Others, however, need extra back support, so a firmer mattress is required. We have a number of firm mattresses that you can also check and try in stores.
Solving the Goldilocks Conundrum
So, how do you find your “just right” mattress? Simple: Try them out and make sure to do the following:
- Lie down on mattresses on display in stores for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Try out every position you most typically do when you sleep.
- Wear comfy clothes. This way, you can really get the feel of the bed and not get poked and stabbed by your jean zippers and whatnots.
- Try as much mattresses as you can.
- Ask your salesman a lot of questions. You’ll want to know what’s inside the bed, what the fabric used is, and a lot of other things.
- Do your own homework and read reviews, but don’t rely on them entirely. Again, mattresses provide very subjective experiences. The most you can get out of reviews is learn how durable a brand is and how great their customer service is.
When it comes to mattress shopping, patience is definitely a virtue. Even Goldilocks just found the right mattress for her on her third try, so give it some time if you’re having some difficulties in finding the right mattress for you.
Don’t know where to start your search? Visit one of our dealers to try out a Salem Bed.